The Pega 7.1.6 Exercise System from Pega Academy runs on a virtual machine that uses the Ubuntu operating system. The virtual machine can be accessed through a command line interface that is provided by a virtual machine player such as VMWare Workstation Player or Oracle VM VirtualBox.
- This post shows how a desktop GUI can be installed on the Ubuntu virtual machine.
- Here, the Pega 7.1.6 (SAE1_716_VM_20160708) Exercise System is running on Oracle VM OpenBox.
- For the Pega 7.1.6 Exercise System setup used here, see How to Run Pega 7 Exercise System on Mac with Oracle VM VirtualBox
- Updating the Ubuntu APT Package Information Cache on the Pega 7 Virtual Machine
- Installing the Ubuntu Desktop GUI on the Pega 7 Virtual Machine
- Accessing Pega 7 Tomcat Manager Applicatione for Personal Virtual Server Installations
- FTP Connect to Pega 7 System for Personal Virtual Server Installations
- Connect to Pega 7 PostgreSQL Database with pgAdmin for Personal Virtual Server Installations
- Before installing the Ubuntu Desktop GUI, it is necessary to update the APT package information cache.
- The APT update will not break the currently installed Pega 7.1.6 Exercise System.
- Login to the virtual machine of the Pega 7.1.6 Exercise System using
- The Pega 7.1.6 Exercise System, (build SAE1_716_VM_20160708), uses
- Use the Advanced Packet Tool (APT) and execute the below command to download the latest package information from all servers:
sudo apt-get update
- This process may take a few minutes, depending on the Internet connection speed.
- After updating the package information cache, execute the below command to open the Ubunto Software Package Installation Utility:
- The utility lists currently installed software packages and all available software packages for download.
- For example, in the screen shot, the PostgreSQL database package is currently installed as it is part of the Pega 7.1.6 Exercise System.
- Use the arrow keys to move up and down the list of software packages.
- Select the package Ubuntu Desktop by pressing the Space key.
- Use the Tab key to navigate to the OK button at the bottom of the utility and hit Enter.
- The package installer will show a progress bar. The whole installation process may take a while, depending on the Internet connection speed.
- Once the installation is completed, the installation utility will be closed and control is returned to the command line. Reboot the Ubuntu OS to apply the changes.
- The virtual machine be restarted and when Ubuntu is launched, the Desktop GUI is launched by default instead of the command line interface.
- Ubuntu has the Firefox browser installed and it can be used to access the local Pega 7.1.6 Exercise System.