When Pega is installed as a Personal Virtual Server, using VMWare (as per the Exercise Systems on Pega Academy), the Tomcat web server’s manager application (aka admin console) can be accessed from the host operating system. In this post, it is shown how to do that for Pega 7.1.6 and Pega 7.1.9.
- For more information on the Pega Academy Exercise Systems, see System Architect Essentials I (7.1) and Senior System Architect (7.1) in the Pega Academy course catalog.
- Start the Virtual Machine and Confirm that Designer Studio is Accessible
- Obtain IP Address of the Virtual Machine
- Accessing the Tomcat Manager Web Application
- FTP Connect to Pega 7 System for Private Virtual Server Installations
- Connect to Pega 7 PostgreSQL Database with pgAdmin for Personal Virtual Server Installations
1 Start the Virtual Machine and Confirm that Designer Studio is Accessible
- Use the VMWare Player to start the virtual machine. Click on the desired virtual machine and then click on the link Play virtual machine. It may take a few minutes for the virtual machine to start.
- By default, the Designer Studio will be accessible through the URL:
2 Obtain IP Address of the Virtual Machine
- Note: If the Designer Studio is not reachable using the
prpchostname, the IP address of the virtual machine can be used instead.
- Open the VMWare command line window and press enter to log into the virtual machine.
- For the Pega Exercise System installations, use the following login credentials:
architectand password =
rootand password =
- On the command line, execute the command below to view the virtual machine’s IP address.
- Here, the IP address is
- Then use it to access the Designer Studio.
3 Accessing the Tomcat Manager Application
- The Tomcat manager application will be accessible through the URL:
- By default, the Tomcat manager application is protected by HTTP basic authentication (BA) and a dialog window will appear that requires entering a username and password.
- The default Tomcat manager application credentials are:
- The Tomcat manager application lists three Pega related web applications:
prhelp– The Pega Help System
prsysmgmt– The Pega System Management Application (SMA)
prweb– Pega PRPC, Designer Studio and Case Manager Portals
- Use the Start and Stop buttons to e.g. restart the
prwebPega PRPC application.